Interested in hiring Summer Ambassadors? (Information for students looking to apply below)
For many years during the summer months, the RCA has hired a group of responsible, energetic and environmentally-minded post-secondary students to carry out important waste reduction projects for our members.
The future of this program is dependent on participation of enough partners to justify the hiring of full-time summer students. We need to confirm enough interest by March 31, 2023 to begin our student search. Otherwise, the program will not proceed.
So please let us know if our Ambassadors can help your business or municipality out this summer.
Past Ambassador projects include:
- Office and field research
- Collection, sorting and data entry for waste audits
- Phone surveys
- Recycled material collection audits
- Public outreach at community events
- Site visits/inspections
Ambassadors would be available from May until the end of August and can assist with any project duration, short or long, for a reasonable price.
- hiring, training and managing keen and qualified students
- delivery of important summer projects you may need but don’t have required staff
- interviewing, reference checks and other human resource functions saving you time and money
If you have a need you think we may be able to assist with, we would like to discuss options.
Contact us to discuss your summer project needs:
email@example.com (403) 843-6563
Interested in becoming a Summer Ambassador?
The RCA is looking for responsible, energetic, and environmentally-minded post-secondary students to carry out important waste-reduction projects across Alberta. Please send your resume and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Description – Summer Ambassador for the Recycling Council of Alberta
The Recycling Council of Alberta (RCA) is a registered charity dedicated to promoting and facilitating waste reduction, recycling and resource conservation. Creating awareness and educating Albertans on waste reduction and associated environmental benefits is an important role for the RCA. For more than 10 years, the RCA has been employing post-secondary students during the summer to deliver a range of environmental projects across Alberta.
As an Ambassador, you will travel around Alberta delivering waste reduction education, conducting surveys, undertaking field research, and collecting and compiling waste data. Ambassadors may be required to spend several days in a row travelling and/or staying in another municipality for specific projects. As many events occur on weekends, availability to work both weekdays and weekends is required. Workweeks will be based on 40 hours, so when weekend activities are required, alternate weekdays will be provided as time off in lieu.
You should apply to be an Ambassador if you are:
- An effective communicator with strong interpersonal and writing skills
- Have excellent time management skills
- Able to work remotely and autonomously
- Interested in and understand environmental issues and programming
- Able and willing to travel throughout the summer, including overnight hotel stays on weekdays and weekends
Key Responsibilities include:
- Travel by vehicle to different events around the province with another Ambassador
- Deliver targeted environmental public education messages through communication with businesses, municipalities, schools, the public and local media
- Field research into the nature of materials collected through Alberta’s recycling programs. May require physical labour in a waste management environment
- Daily, weekly and monthly planning to schedule and map out driving routes and complete tasks
- Completion of weekly, monthly and end-of-project reports, including summary presentations to project partners
- Data entry of field survey responses
- Management of expenses and time reporting of different project components
- Must have a cell phone and laptop (with current Microsoft programs including Word and Excel)
- Strong computer skills and regular internet access
- Completion of First Aid and / or WHMIS course
- Your own vehicle for travelling to project sites in Calgary, Edmonton, Red Deer, and neighboring communities / counties / municipalities
- Qualified to drive a rental vehicle. A driver’s abstract will need to be provided if invited for an interview
- Eligible participant for “youth” funding (must not be over the age of 30)
Salary: $18.50 / hour (mileage will be paid when Ambassador has their own vehicle)
Term: Four-month project (tentatively May 1, 2023 – September 1, 2023)
Location: Ambassadors are expected to work from home when not travelling or attending events.
Application Closing Date: April 7, 2023
Please submit an electronic application (cover letter and resume) to: email@example.com