Who We Are
The RCA’s mission is to promote and facilitate waste reduction, recycling, and resource conservation in the Province of Alberta.
Through a consultative approach and support of the RCA Committees and partners (i.e., government, industry, stewardship organizations and other associations) and additional stakeholders, the RCA will pursue protection of the environment through resource conservation following the 3Rs hierarchy.
Pathway to Zero Waste
On our pathway towards Zero Waste, the RCA will initially address Five Bold Steps:
- Government Relationships
- Organics Diversion
- C&D Waste Diversion
- Packaging (and Printed Materials) Stewardship Program
- Agricultural Plastics Recycling Program
Leadership & Advocacy
Encourage policy that facilitates waste reduction, recycling and resource conservation.
- Maintain a strong and diverse membership
- Develop strategic alliances and partnerships.
- Develop proactive policies on strategic issues.
- Present RCA position to key influencers and monitor results.
Industrial, Commercial and Institutional
Encourage and assist the ICI & C&D sectors to responsibly manage their waste stream, assume product stewardship, increase recycled content and conserve resources.
- Promote ICI waste stewardship and reduction.
- Promote construction and demolition waste reduction.
- Encourage design-for-environment.
- Recognize excellence in product stewardship.
Rural and Small Communities
Support the development and ongoing recycling and waste reduction programs in communities with a population of less than 25,000.
- Develop waste diversion, reduction and recycling education and training tools for small and rural communities (e.g. Recycling 102 presentation, recycling database)
- Create and advocate a sustainable funding model to address unique challenges of small and rural communities
- Develop and implement programs on the basis of priority materials
- Support and encourage RCA membership in small and communities in Alberta
Education & Communication
Raise awareness, educate and encourage responsibility for waste reduction, recycling and resource conservation.
- Deliver key messages and information, which support strategic objectives, to target audiences.
- Develop and deliver education & networking initiatives.
- Assist other committees to communicate key concepts and messages.
Join a Committee
Are you interested in influencing the direction and future of the Recycling Council of Alberta? Then we urge you to join one of the RCA’s committees. Email us and let us know which committee(s) you are interested in.
Recycling Council of Alberta Annual Reports
- 2015/2016 RCA Audited Financial Statements (PDF 908 kb)
- 2014/2015 RCA Financial Statements (PDF 152 kb)
- 2013/2014 RCA Financial Statements (PDF 75 Kb)
- 2012/2013 RCA Audited Financial Statements (PDF 328 Kb)
- 2011/2012 RCA Financial Statements (PDF 332 Kb)
- 2010/2011 RCA Financial Statements (PDF 221 Kb)
- 2009/2010 RCA Financial Statements (PDF 521.37 Kb)