We wanted to draw your attention to a valuable funding opportunity. The Community and Regional Economic Support (CARES) program will open a new intake from November 1 to December 2, 2019. Since 2016, the CARES program supported over 260 economic development initiatives across Alberta. CARES program funds initiatives that enhance local economic conditions and leverage regional resources to build capacity for sustainable economic development. Applications will be evaluated with particular attention paid to projects with either an innovation, investment attraction, or tourism focuses.
The RCA’s study, Quantifying the Economic Value of Alberta’s Recycling Programs, was partly funded by the CARES grant.
The CARES program funds initiatives that create a measurable impact and align with one or more of the following program outcomes:
- improving local business environment and/or regional economic collaboration
- increasing support for entrepreneurs and small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to grow and succeed
- enhancing support for associations, businesses and industries that provide diversification to a community or a region
- increasing industry and sector competitiveness to lay the foundation for investment and job creation
Particular attention will be paid to projects with a tourism, investment attraction or innovation focus.
- CARES program funding for economic development initiatives begins at $10,000.
- Municipalities and not-for-profit organizations must be able to match the funding requested at a 1:1 matching ratio, or 50% of the total project cost.
- First Nations and Métis Settlements and Rural Alberta Business Centres must be able to match the funding requested at 25% of the total project cost.
- For-profit organizations can partner with an eligible entity to complete an eligible project.
- Successful applicants will receive the grant up front so that their project can begin immediately. All projects must not take more than 2 years to execute.
More information and grant details can be found at: https://www.alberta.ca/community-regional-economic-support-program.aspx and in their upcoming webinar:
November 20, 2019 – 1:30 pm to 2:30 pm
Webinar Meeting Number: 669 986 247
Webinar Password: 1234