Job Opportunity: Banff Circular Communities Coordinator – Resource Recovery
Banff Circular Communities Coordinator
Town of Banff
Term: October 2021 to October 2022
Banff is one of several Alberta municipalities participating in the Recycling Council of Alberta’s (RCA) ‘Circular Communities’ project. In this PT term and important position, you “Take Care of Banff” by advancing different elements of Banff’s circular economy which includes supporting Banff’s new Library of Things and growing the sharing economy, community engagement, and circular economy strategy development for specific issues. Your responsibilities will include:
Library of Things & Sharing Economy: Town of Banff has recently launched a Library of Things pilot program in partnership with Banff Public Library, with the goal of growing Banff’s sharing economy to reduce consumption and prevent waste. This position will support the Library of Things through analysis of the pilot and identification of next steps, design & coordination of fix-it/repair café style workshops, while working toward a physical space that could serve as a hub for these activities to take place on an ongoing basis.
Community Engagement: This position will engage Banff’s community on the circular economy through asset mapping of existing circular projects, communicating circularity, and facilitating collaboration between the municipality, businesses, non-profits/civil society, and residents.
Circular Economy Strategy Development: This position will implement key opportunities identified in Banff’s Circular Communities Roadmap and address specific opportunities (ex. food systems, transportation) through the lens of the circular economy.
Knowledge & Skills required:
- Strong understanding of zero waste, the circular economy, and climate change
- Strong understanding of affordability issues and community development
- Collaborative relationship builder; strong understanding of community engagement strategies
- Energetic, outgoing, and passionate about engaging with diverse populations
- A thinker with creativity and ability to troubleshoot and identify patterns and trends
- Detail oriented data collection, analysis, and reporting skills
- Experience with grant writing is an asset
- Enrollment in such programs as: Environmental Science, Education Geography, Urban Planning, Community Development would be desirable.
This position is a one-year grant-funded contract based on 24 hours/week from October 2021 to October 2022. This position will be working remotely or at Town of Banff offices. If additional funding is obtained, the position may be extended.
“Taking care of Banff: our People, our Community, our Park.”
For your safety and the safety of others, you will be required to demonstrate (in writing from an Alberta Health Services authorized site) that you have received both doses of a COVID-19 vaccination as of your hire date.
If you to meet the eligibility criteria and skills/knowledge for this position, please to submit your cover letter and resume by August 27, 2021 to:
Mail: Town of Banff, Box 1260, Banff, AB, T1L 1A1
Drop off: 110 Bear Street