Job Opportunity: Education and Community Initiatives Specialist at the City of Lethbridge
The City of Lethbridge (www.lethbridge.ca) serves a community of 100,000+ residents, and is committed to delivering services in a way that earns the trust, respect and confidence of the community. Located just two hours south of Calgary and close to the Rocky Mountains and U.S. border, Lethbridge is a family-oriented and culturally vibrant community with diverse recreational opportunities; fine restaurants and shopping; and home to two innovative post-secondary institutions – the University of Lethbridge and Lethbridge College. The City of Lethbridge recognizes the diversity of our community and is working to ensure programs, services, facilities and employment opportunities are inclusive to all people.
At the City, we win the hearts of the community through discipline, teamwork, composure and applying a strategic mind-set. Our Waste & Recycling Utility is seeking a dynamic individual to join our team of disciplined business professionals. This person must be a strategic thinker and known for the strong relationships they build with co-workers and customers.
WAGE: $41.04 per hour
HOURS OF WORK: 7.5 hours per day, Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
STATUS: 1 Year Term Position
As a full time, 1-year term employee, the Education and Community Initiatives Specialist will have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects focuses on waste reduction and diversion.
- Work with Waste & Recycling Utility team to develop and implement a community outreach and engagement plan;
- Measure, track, and report progress to determine success of efforts and adjust strategies based on emerging findings, including analysis of communications data and reporting out of key performance indicators;
- Work with leadership and staff to identify new community partners as well as maintaining relationships with current community partners;
- Proven record of inclusive engagement; demonstrated competency working with diverse cultures; ability to build trust and create authentic relationships with a diverse range of people; ability to deal respectfully and constructively with people of divergent opinions; Update Business Unit Manager and other team members on program status, opportunities and challenges;
- Organize, plan and execute regular outreach activities and programming for the Waste & Recycling Utility;
- Promoting environmentally responsible actions through presentations, phone calls, face-to-face meetings, and networking including organizing and leading public events and meetings with community members as a representative of the City of Lethbridge;
- Responsible design, creation and maintenance of communications materials;
- Experience in complex spreadsheet application and technical data analysis;
- Demonstrated experience in the areas of customer service, working in a team environment;
- Working knowledge about waste and recycling issues and processes is mandatory;
- Direct and oversee outsourced work performed by external contractors/vendors
- Compiling & analyzing information communications information, data and reporting out of key performance indicators
- Preparation and presentation of written and/or oral reports on specific waste related topics
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, education, environmental science or 5 years’ experience in a related field.
- 5 years of experience/education in areas of outreach, communications and community engagement.
- Community Social Based Marketing skills will be an asset.
- Project and change management implementation experience
- 3-5 years’ experience in the area of waste management or environmental sciences
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Experience planning and facilitating meetings and events
- Experience working with a diverse population
- Ability to work independently and with a team to gather information
- Comfortable with public speaking
- Excellent organizational skills
- Grant writing experience
- A valid, class 5 Operator’s license
We are looking for a results-oriented team member who demonstrates professionalism and is committed to providing exemplary public service. This is a 1-year term with the possibility to become a permanent employee.
For further information on this opportunity, please contact:
Joel Sanchez, Waste and Recycling Utility General Manager at 403-320-3037 or email email@example.com
Closing Date: March 12, 2021, at 11:59 p.m.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume with cover letter, online at: www.lethbridge.ca
All candidates are thanked in advance for their interest. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
CUPE Local 70
Fostering Equity and Diversity
Newsflash sent on behalf of the City of Lethbridge