Job Opportunity: Junior Waste Diversion Engineer in Lethbridge
Junior Waste Diversion Engineer
The City of Lethbridge (www.lethbridge.ca) serves a community nearing 100,000 residents and is committed to delivering services in a way that earns the trust, respect and confidence of the community. The City of Lethbridge recognizes the diversity of our community and is working to ensure programs, services, facilities and employment opportunities are inclusive to all people.
The Waste and Recycling Department has an exciting opportunity for a Junior Waste Diversion Engineer. This role will be responsible for the ICI and C&D Strategy supports the core business direction of Waste and Recycling Utility, as well as other areas within waste diversion and sustainability. The successful candidate will be working to create, support and implement policies and initiatives as well as design engineering programs and updating standards. This position will be responsible for meeting targets, collecting data, reporting and presenting to various bodies including City Council as well as facilitating and engaging stakeholders. They will be monitoring the effectiveness of processes and implementing project management principles on all projects.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Maintain positive relationships with consultants, contractors, suppliers, haulers, processors, businesses and associations
- Coordinate, support and/or design and implement programs and activities described in the ICI and C&D Strategy
- Develop expert knowledge of the local and relevant waste & recycling industries and options in order to recognize opportunities and influence business waste diversion in Lethbridge
- Facilitate and enable stakeholder working groups to encourage solution development
- Planning and policy creation, monitoring the effectiveness of processes and management programs and procedures
- Provide leadership and technical expertise to the department and to other City of Lethbridge departments
- Provide cost/investment estimates and rational for operation and initiatives
- Identifying key performance indicators and developing the associated methods of measuring success and monitoring community efforts to meet targets.
- Create and deliver on performance measures.
- Continuous improvement mindset while delivering on department goals and initiatives
- Engineering solutions and methods to waste diversion, recommendations on solutions to problems and best practice implementation.
- Represent Waste and Recycling Services at a variety of City and public meetings, making presentation as necessary
- Project management including monitoring project budgets, revenues and expenditures, scope, schedule and risks
Those interested in this opportunity should have a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering and a member of or eligibility for membership in the Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists and Geophysicists or equivalent education and experience. This position requires 2-5 years of experience in the civil/waste/recycling industry and knowledge and experience with waste management principles and systems or civil engineering systems. In addition to strong project management and teamwork skills, the successful candidate will have a proven track record to effectively collaborate, lead and establish relationships with people, groups and teams of significant diversity and interests. The selected person will be a self-starter with the ability to work independently.
We are looking for a team member who is dedicated to fostering a culture of public service and delivering results in a customer-focused, solutions oriented, sustainable and innovative way.
The City offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive, flexible benefits package.
For further information on this opportunity, please contact:
Mandi Parker, Corporate Sustainability Manager at (403) 320-4798 or Mandi.Parker@lethbridge.ca
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume with cover letter, online at: www.lethbridge.ca
Closing Date: August 16, 2021
All candidates are thanked in advance for their interest. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.