Job Opportunity: Operations Manager at Suez in Edmonton
Tracking Code: 3053-110
The Operations Manager of the Edmonton Operations provides leadership and synergized management of the Production Department for the contracts Suez Canada Waste Services holds within the City of Edmonton Waste Management Centre (EWMC). These facilities include a High Solids Anaerobic Digestion Facility, Biosolids Dewatering Operation, and Material Recovery Facility. As a member of the Management team, the incumbent supports the Plant Manager so that safe and cost effective operation is achieved and appropriate strategic decisions can be made consistent with the mandate of the facilities to effectively and efficiently process MSW (Municipal Solid Waste), SSO (Source Separated Organics), MSS (Municipal Sewage Sludge) and ‘blue bag’ recyclables. This position adheres to the Company’s Core Values and being vigilant of the objective to be 100% compliant with all regulatory requirements, achieves department’s business targets and objectives. The Operations Manager has responsibility for personnel who work various shifts including 24/7 operations and who perform Safety Sensitive duties or responsibilities. Under the direction of the Plant Manager, this position is responsible for directing, coordinating, facilitating and monitoring the daily activities of production superintendents and supervisors (approximately 4 direct reports with an overall staff that is approximately 94 employees).
This position operates within a COR certified plant environment (which is a requirement of our Contract) and is required to comply with all regulatory requirements including the Client’s operating approval with Alberta Environment
- Minimum of Technical School or College Diploma in related field.
- Preference for Degree in Process Engineering or related discipline.
Applicable Experience Required:
- Minimum of five (5) years’ progressive experience managing process operations within an industrial process plant environment is required.
- Proven leadership skills combined with a minimum of four (4) years’ supervisory/ management experience.
- Extensive knowledge of solid waste processing facilities as well as project management experience.
Special Training/Certificates Required:
- In-house training on corporate policies.
- Respectful Workplace Training.
- Leadership and Management Training.
- Strong customer service attitude and commitment to providing exceptional customer service and quality results.
- Effective business acumen and ability to manage all facets of the department.
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict management skills to facilitate working effectively with wide range and number of people, including peers and manager, employees, and other departments, divisions, and management within all levels of the organization.
- Strong leadership and communication (both verbal and written) skills to facilitate and promote open discussions, and to effect pro-active management on a daily basis.
- Excellent negotiation, persuasion, and listening skills to facilitate successful resolution of employee and management concerns and requests.
- Effective time management, decision-making, and planning and organizing skills.
- Attentiveness to details and ability to manage a diverse workload within a fast-paced environment with changing multiple priorities and frequent interruptions.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team as well as independently with minimal supervision.
- Proven organizational and creative-problem solving skills.
- Intermediate level computer skills to operate MS Office Suite (especially Outlook, Excel, and Word).
- Ability to work on-call and outside of regular business hours as the facility is operational 24/7.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality to comply with all regulatory requirements and Company Privacy and Confidentiality policies and procedures.
- Ability to complete all conditions of employment including criminal record check, negative alcohol and drug test, current and clean Class 5 driver’s license, pre-employment medical, immunizations, and background check.
General office hours for the Production Manager will be Monday to Friday, 7:00 am to 3:30 pm; however incumbent is required to work hours necessary to achieve Department and Company/Client objectives. With prior approval, incumbent has flexibility to adapt hours to meet business and personal needs.
Position is based on a 40-hour work week.
TO APPLY: https://www.suez-na.com/en-us/careers
Suez is an Equal Opportunity Employer