Job Opportunity: Waste and Recycling Program Coordinator at the City of Airdrie
Position ID: J0919-0170
Job Type: Full Time
Department: Waste and Recycling
Closing Date: September 20, 2019
Salary: $35.49 – $44.36/Hour
The City of Airdrie fosters a culture of accountability and values open dialogue, innovation and entrepreneurial spirit, collaborative relationships, learning, ownership, and encouraging the heart. We are searching for another team member who will help us get to the next level.
We’re a place where you can grow. We’re a place where you’re encouraged to learn and be innovative. We’re a place where people take ownership and do what they say they’ll do. We’re a place where colleagues are friends and neighbours are customers. We’re a place where health, wellness and safety are top of mind. We’re a place where you just might be a perfect fit.
Provides residents with options for managing their residential/household waste through services and education, considering environmental, social and economic impacts. Waste and Recycling Services endeavors to position Airdrie as a municipal leader in environmental stewardship.
- Oversee residential waste reduction and diversion initiatives for the City of Airdrie in order to continuously improve the effectiveness of the waste, organics and recycling programs.
- Manage department statistics to identify effectiveness of existing residential programs
- Use data to identify Waste & Recycling program needs, plan and develop strategies that specifically target areas for improvement
- Work directly with the education coordinator to structure education efforts that target inefficiencies and continuously work to improve the effectiveness of residential Waste & Recycling programs
- Research, collect and maintain current information on waste diversion best practices and programs of other jurisdictions
- Ensure adherence to bylaws and contractual obligations are being met by contractors
- Liaise with contractors to maximize collection efficiencies and customer service
- Participate in the development and management of residential program budgets
- Participate in the preparation, review and scoring of competition documents
- Draft and deliver reports to various audiences including Council, Senior Leadership, staff and the public as required
- Review and keep abreast of Federal, Provincial and local policy, rules and regulations involving recycling, material recovery, waste reduction, composting, and related matters
- Develop, implement, and maintain policies and operational procedures required for the efficient and effective operation of department software and programs
- Respond to public enquiries using professional tact and diplomacy
- A completed diploma in Environmental Education, Environmental Sciences, or a related field
- 3+ years of direct experience in solid waste management with a preference given to experience in a municipal setting
- Experience in strategic planning, project management, and program development and delivery
- Intermediate or better Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.)
- Strong communication, presentation, negotiating and influencing skills; ability to present complex issues effectively at all levels in the organization including Council and external stakeholders
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Independent decision-making, problem solving and analytical skills; ability to look outside the box for best practice actions
- Effective organizational skills including ability to manage multiple projects and priorities to meet multiple deadlines
- A passion for the environment
Along with a competitive compensation program and City paid health and dental premiums, our employees also enjoy:
- Excellent health, dental, paramedical, and benefits plan
- First-in-class pension plan
- Career development and tuition reimbursement
- Employee discounts, annual adult Genesis Place pass, social events, and health & wellness initiatives
Continuous learning through training and development is encouraged as are flexible work arrangements, when possible. We recognize that our people work best when they feel engaged in their environment and appreciated for their efforts and our overall benefits package reflects that.
This is a permanent full time position consisting of 37.5 hours per week and includes a comprehensive benefits and pension package.
Please provide a cover letter outlining your experience specific to municipal waste management.
Interviewing and hiring may commence prior to the posted closing date.
Candidates are invited to apply online at www.airdrie.ca.
Newsflash paid for by the City of Airdrie