Job Opportunity: Waste Process Supervisors at RMWB
The Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo (RMWB) is inviting applications for the positions of Supervisor, Waste Process.
Supervisor, Waste Process (3 Positions – Permanent)
Apply Online at http://www.rmwb.ca/Employment/Employment-Opportunities.htm
Position Type / Hours: These are permanent full-time positions working thirty-five (35) hours per week within the Solid Waste Services Branch of the Environmental Services Department. These positions are located in the community of Fort McMurray, the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo’s urban centre.
Position Description: The Supervisor, Waste Process is responsible for the field operations of one or more waste facilities and programs in the areas of recycling, refuse, composting, energy from waste, hazardous materials screening, diversion, waste processing, and disposal of waste and recyclables generated within the region. Monitors operational performance and makes recommendations for system improvements and efficiencies with special emphasis in the areas of expected tonnage, vehicle transitions and optimization, equipment maintenance and fuel usage, assist with the preparation of equipment specifications, award of bids, equipment rental needs, and coordination of contract services.
Employee Development: Performs supervisory tasks for assigned team members. Works with team to plan and balance workload. Ensures that the team is managed fairly and consistently and that work processes are followed and coordinated to guarantee service levels. Mentors, coaches, and provides support to staff.
Research and Implementation: Participates in the continuous research, development, improvement, and implementation of effective departmental strategies, tools, and guidelines based on the Municipality’s best practices and landfill & transfer station guidelines. Analyzes the effectiveness of departmental programs and makes suggestions for further improvement. Provides input on department business plans, initiatives, and budget to ensure continuous achievement of department goals. Responsible for profit and loss statement for waste process.
Departmental Guidance: Identifies, recommends, and implements measures for improving long range waste disposal and diversion management. Maintains communication with external agencies and departments of the provincial government involved in landfill management operations, permitting and analytical/legal requirements to maintain operations. Identifies and recommends customer service standards relating to waste disposal and diversion management and responds to customer complaints and concerns.
- An Environmental Diploma is required.
- Manager of Landfill Operations (MOLO) is required.
- Seven (7) years of experience in a municipal waste processing environment with a minimum of two (2) years of experience in a supervisory role is required.
- Additional SWANA certifications and experience are assets.
- Experience working in a public sector environment with unionized and non-unionized employees considered an asset.
- An equivalent combination of education and work experience may be considered.
You will possess the following:
- Ability to empower people, and use innovative approaches in situations involving rapid change, shifting priorities, and/or simultaneous demands.
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, organizational, and communication skills, as well as a demonstrated ability to assess situations from a business perspective and ability to explain technical aspects to non-technical staff.
- Strong team player with a collaborative style and project management and facilitation skills.
- Proven customer focus, with demonstrated ability to build effective relationships with internal customers, external providers, and industry contacts.
- Proficient in various software applications.
- Sound, practical judgment using independent decision making.
- Knowledge of all equipment used in solid waste collections and prohibited materials restricted under provincial and federal regulation.
- Must be willing to work in unsanitary conditions and in all weather conditions (immunizations strongly recommended for work in unsanitary conditions).
- Valid Alberta Class Five (5) driver’s licence is required as incumbent may be required to operate a personal or municipal vehicle for business use.
Salary: Competitive Salary
In addition to the rate of pay, we offer other attractive incentives:
- an extensive employer paid benefits plan
- an additional annual payment of $12,480 which represents a cost of living allowance
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
To apply: Please visit RMWB’s website at www.rmwb.ca
RMWB appreciates the interest of all applicants; however, only those individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.