Job Opportunity: Waste & Recycling Foreman/Woman at Lac La Biche County
Waste & Recycling Foreman/Woman
Full Time Permanent Position (view the original job posting here)
This position is responsible for the supervision of the operational requirements of all municipal landfills, transfer sites and any additional Waste & Recycling facilities. This includes the supervision, development, and mentoring of subordinates to ensure continued personal growth is maintained by all staff within the division.
This position is also responsible to assist in the planning, development, promotion, implementation and evaluation of waste management and recycling programs for Lac La Biche County, with a focus on meeting the objectives outlined in the Waste Reduction Strategy and the Curbside Pickup Program.
- Responsible for overseeing the daily operations of the landfills, transfer stations, and any additional Waste & Recycling facilities.
- Ensure all Waste & Recycling facilities are open to the public as per site specific operational policy and procedure.
- Ensure that site equipment is monitored and maintained. This includes scheduling equipment to receive inspections/service as required.
- Ensure landfill and transfer site records are updated and maintained, as per AEP guidelines and site-specific municipal requirements.
- Oversee the collection and sorting of material pickup at all landfills/transfer stations
- Ensure that all Waste & Recycling sites are maintained and meet the operational policies established by the County and respective provincial and/or federal legislation.
- Must be familiar with the Alberta Environmental Protection Act, Occupational Health & Safety Regulations, the Environment Protection Act (Federal), and additional regulations as outlined by Alberta Environment and Parks (including Standards for Landfills in Alberta).
- Develop recommendations for policy changes based on operational realities.
- Keep abreast of latest developments and recommend or implement change as appropriate in solid waste management.
- Must liaise with provincial and federal bodies as required; prepare correspondence and reports. Investigate issues related to landfill operations and regulations as required.
- Report any deficiencies to the Manager of Environmental Services.
- Ensure daily landfill requirements are met through planning, preventative maintenance programs, budget allocations, and implementing daily routines to ensure the sites are kept up to date and meet the service expectations of the users.
- This position will also be responsible for the coordination and operation of Waste & Recycling sites in regards to recyclable programs and procedures.
- Responds to concerns regarding Waste & Recycling operations in a timely and professional manner.
- Working and liaising with consultants and contractors on various projects.
- Responsible for supervising all Waste & Recycling Operators. This includes handling employee inquiries and issues as required and ensuring performance reviews are completed for all employees (in a timely manner). These positions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Waste & Recycling Operators
- Waste & Recycling Equipment Operators
- Systems Clerk
- Environmental Services labourers
- Assist in the hiring process as required.
- Ensure all employees are abiding by the County Health & Safety Policy and that all staff are supplied with proper PPE.
Program Development & Implementation:
- May be required to assisting in the planning, development, and promotion of various environmental programs, including, but not limited to the following:
- CORE – Community Organics Recycling Enhancement (backyard composting)
- Curbside pickup program
- Community group environmental education facilitation
- Annual community events and programs (i.e. Environment Week, Waste Reduction Week, Household Hazardous Waste Roundups, Clean Sweep/Large Item Pickup)
- Conduct site inspections.
- Conduct safety inspections as required<
- Must possess a post-secondary degree or diploma in environmental and/or waste management, or comparable education
- Valid Transfer Site Certificate; or willing to obtain one, once eligible
- Class II and Class III Landfill certification; or willing to obtain one, once eligible
- Experience in a supervisory role
- Previous experience working in a landfill or transfer site is an asset
- Knowledgeable of proper procedures as set out by Federal, Provincial and Municipal regulations, legislation and Policy
- Knowledgeable of current material site acceptance and associated Tipping Fees
- Knowledgeable of storm water containment and leachate determination as set by the Environmental Code of Practice and standards for landfill operations in Alberta
- Knowledgeable of all policies and procedures in regards to recycling separation and/or repurposing of materials as per site specific operations
- Basic knowledge on municipal operations
- Basic legal map reading skills
- Technical troubleshooting skills
- Excellent conflict resolution and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work independently and as a team
- Excellent public relations and interpersonal skills.
- Accurate record keeping skills; ability to generate reports and correspondence.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and other computer programs as required.
- Valid Class 5 drivers license required.
- Must submit a Driver’s Abstract, Criminal Record Check, and Medical Assessment that meets the satisfaction of the County
Salary range $ 71,718.40 to $ 92,809.60 annually
- Lac La Biche County offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package, including:
- 100% Employer paid Health and Dental Benefits
- Employee and Family Assistance Plan
- Local Authorities Pension Plan
- Competition Number: 03-WRF-18
- Closing Date: This competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Interested candidates are invited to forward their resume in strict confidence to:
Attention: Human Resources
Lac La Biche County
Box 1679 Lac La Biche, AB T0A 2C0
Lac La Biche County thanks all interested applicants; however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.