Summer Job Opportunity: Solid Waste and Recycling Student at Rocky View County
Solid Waste and Recycling Student for Rocky View County (summer term: May 4 – Sept. 5, 2020)
Job Number: J0120-0809
Job Type: Seasonal Full-Time
Location: Rocky View County, Alberta
Number of Positions: 1
Salary: $20 / Hr
Application Deadline: April 1, 2020
The 40,000 people who call Rocky View County home live in a diverse blend of rural, hamlet, and country residential communities on one million acres to the west, north, and east of Calgary. Our dedicated employees work with a variety of stakeholders to develop innovative and unique solutions for our complex municipality. To continue to enhance the quality of life in our communities, we seek individuals who thrive on challenges, who provide excellent customer service in a fast-paced environment, and whose positive energy enables the County to grow and prosper.
Reporting to the Solid Waste & Recycling Lead, the Seasonal Solid Waste & Recycling Representative is responsible for educating and informing County residents on County specific waste and recycling programs by attending events, interacting with the general public, performing program performance audits, organizing and running special events, and supporting the work of the department as needed throughout Rocky View County.
- Attend community events to promote waste and recycling programs to County residents.
- Perform periodic cart-checks and participation audits where curbside programs exist.
- Visit Rocky View transfer sites and Chuckwagon sites to observe and make recommendations for improvements.
- Assist with special events such as Ag Round Ups, household hazardous waste collection days, and compost give-a-way days.
- Perform data entry and analysis as required (e.g. transfer site usage data).
- Maintain County vehicles and equipment as required.
- Provide superior customer service to both internal and external clients.
- Act in a professional and responsible manner to protect the integrity of employees and the business of the County.
- Display a professional and ethical responsibility to protect privacy, use information appropriately, and maintain the confidentiality and security of all information related to employees, business and residents of Rocky View County.
- Adhere to Health and Safety Legislation and Rocky View safe work policies and procedures at all times, ensuring the protection and safety of self, co-workers, the public and environment.
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
Hold post-secondary training in a related field (such as environmental science, environmental studies, agriculture, natural sciences, or business administration).
- Perform duties and stay motivated while working outdoors, sometimes alone or with others.
- Take leadership role as needed to ensure events run smoothly and per plan.
- Exercise independent judgment to maintain quality standards.
- Be personable while displaying courtesy, tact, a customer service attitude, and a desire to represent Rocky View in a professional manner at all times.
- Experience with municipal or provincial levels of government would be considered an asset.
- Be passionate about environmental issues and be able to engage and present on a variety of environmental topics.
- Provide superior customer service, leading by example and creating a culture of excellence.
- Perform proficiently using MS Office, Adobe Acrobat Pro, GIS, and GPS.
- Ensure appropriate utilization of personal protective equipment (PPE) required (e.g., CSA footwear).
- Must possess a valid class 5 driver’s license.
Interested applicants are invited to apply direct to www.rockyview.jobs
Applications are due by 10 pm MST on the closing date.
Rocky View County thanks all applicants for their interest; however
only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Newsflash paid for by Rocky View County