Waste Reduction Week – Food Waste Friday – October 22nd
Waste Reduction Week – Food Waste Friday
Today is Food Waste Friday – Take the Food Waste Pledge this Waste Reduction Week!
Take the pledge and commit to making choices that will keep your food from becoming waste. You can take the pledge as an individual, school, business/organization, household, or community.
When you take the Food Waste Pledge, you’ll commit to:
- Learn about food waste in Canada
- Take action to reduce your food waste by:
- Planning meals and making a grocery list
- Storing fruits and vegetables properly so they last longer
- Getting creative with leftovers
- Thinking about expiry dates
- Compost leftover organics
- Share your food waste reduction tips and encourage others to take the pledge on social media using the hashtag #WasteReductionWeek
We recently heard from some incredible organizations working to reduce Food Waste right here in our backyard. From Highfield Farms, a regenerative farming pilot in Calgary to the High River Food Rescue, a grassroots initiative aimed at addressing food insecurity and food waste, we are celebrating standout organizations making a difference in advancing the circular economy.
Get involved this #WasteReductionWeek!
- Participate in Events
- Proclaim Waste Reduction Week
- Light a local landmark blue & green
- Take the Food Waste Pledge
- Learn about the program themes
- Share ideas, tips, and stories on social media #WasteReductionWeek
Check out these Waste Reduction Week events in Alberta
- St. Albert Waste Reduction Week Scavenger Hunt
- Edmonton Public Library & City of Edmonton: Food Waste and Compost Basics
- Talking Trash: Let’s Talk About Food Waste Webinar in Partnership with Calgary Public Library
Check out the Grande Prairie Sundial as it’s lit up all week!
Waste Reduction Week Resources:
- Municipality Resources
- Business Resources
- School Resources
- Calgary Board of Education: Waste-free and Boomerang Lunches
- Provincial Resources
- Plastic Action Centre
For more information on how you can get involved visit these links:
Watch your inbox tomorrow for your Saturday fix of Waste Reduction Week and the theme of the Sharing Economy. Help us celebrate our environmental efforts and achievements while encouraging new innovative ideas and solutions!