Waste Reduction Week – Textiles Tuesday – October 19th
Waste Reduction Week – Textiles Tuesday
It’s Day 2 of Waste Reduction Week and today is all about textiles! The Recycling Council of Alberta is excited to celebrate individual and collective environmental commitments, efforts, and accomplishments to advance a Circular Economy.
Textiles Tuesday is about raising awareness on the environmental consequences of clothing and textiles consumption, and provides information on how you can extend the life of your clothing. Currently the textiles production system operates in a linear fashion: largely non-renewable resources are extracted to produce clothes that are often used for only a short time, after which the materials are mostly sent to landfill or incinerated.
Did you know the average person throws away 37 kilograms of textiles each year, and 95 per cent of those clothes could be reused or recycled? Globally, textiles waste has increased dramatically due to the rise in clothing consumption and production.
We recently celebrated Blenderz Garment Recyclers with our Rs of Excellence Zero Waste Award. This zero waste, zero export garment and textile recycling facility in Edmonton reclaims textiles that are deemed unsellable by other thrift stores and charities. Second hand garments are sold to the general public, and non-sellable goods are remade into new items. Since the inception of the company in December 2020, 81 tons of textile waste has been reclaimed and most has been upgraded into the local textile and garment supply chain.
Here are some tips on how to manage your textiles waste!
Get involved this #WasteReductionWeek!
- Participate in Events
- Proclaim Waste Reduction Week
- Light a local landmark blue & green
- Take the Food Waste Pledge
- Learn about the program themes
- Share ideas, tips, and stories on social media #WasteReductionWeek
Check out these Waste Reduction Week events in Alberta
- St. Albert Waste Reduction Week Scavenger Hunt
- Edmonton Public Library & City of Edmonton: Food Waste and Compost Basics
- Online Cooking Workshop from The Airdrie Foodbank in Partnership with The City of Airdrie
- Food Waste and You Online Workshop – Airdrie Foodbank & City of Airdrie
- Talking Trash: Let’s Talk About Food Waste Webinar in Partnership with Calgary Public Library
Check out these landmark lightings across the province this week:
- Calgary Tower – October 19th
- Airdrie City Hall – October 20th
- Red Deer City Hall – October 20th
- Grande Prairie Sundial – October 18th – 23rd
Waste Reduction Week Resources:
- Municipality Resources
- Business Resources
- School Resources
- Calgary Board of Education: Waste-free and Boomerang Lunches
- Provincial Resources
- Plastic Action Centre
For more information on how you can get involved visit these links:
The Recycling Council of Alberta is excited to celebrate individual and collective environmental commitments, efforts, and accomplishments to advance a Circular Economy. Check your inbox tomorrow for the theme of E-Waste to learn more about what is quickly becoming one of the fastest growing waste streams in the world.