ICI Organics Workshop: Put Your Business to Work on Reducing Food Scrap Waste
The RCA, in partnership with The City of Calgary, presented this educational opportunity for all businesses in the Calgary area on how to divert organic waste. The workshop was held On June 15, 2015 at Fort Calgary.
The City of Calgary is planning to ban all organic waste from landfill. Participants learned how this affects your business and get a head start on diverting your business’ waste.
Presentations from The City of Calgary on the implementation of its organics ban timeline, Alberta Health Services, Calgary Interfaith Food Bank, Leftovers YYC, various local composters on different diversion methods, and more on how to reduce your waste.
This was also an opportunity to speak to haulers and processors already collecting and managing organic waste and learn how you can get started.
- Dick Ebersohn (City of Calgary) – Timelines / Program Implementation Plan
- Alex Berthin (Green Calgary) – Why divert organics?
- Dmitri Passaita and Jeremy Tuff (Calgary Interfaith Food Bank) – Edible food diversion to people
- Dale Nelson (Alberta Health Services) – Edible food diversion to people
- Lourdes Juan (Leftovers YYC) – Success Story / Edible food diversion to people
- Kris Vester (Blue Mountain Biodynamic Farm) – Feeding animals
- Keith Waldron (Stampede Caravan Committee)
- Scott Gamble (CH2M Hill) – Composting Basics
- Processor presentations:
- Tony Stolz (Olds College)
- Don Francis (Bio-Can)